2022 August 10
One of Google’s data centers in Omaha, Iowa, has reportedly experienced an electrical explosion. It leaves three electricians critically injured and causes outages to some of the company’s services.
History: Google Updates
Google Outage (2022 August 9)
August 9, 2022
The tech giant apologizes after a software update caused the search engine to go down.
Users reported the search engine was down and that there were problems with Gmail, Google maps, and Google images.
Google has apologized for a software update issue that caused a major international outage on Tuesday, August 9, 2022.
A spokesperson for the company said the team had “worked quickly” to address the fault, and services were back running as expected.
The real-time online platform Downdetector reported users had registered problems with Google explorer, the world’s dominant search engine, from 9.12 PM EST.
Google Is Working with a Feature That Will Allow Users to Click from Websites to Competitors
October 4, 2021
Google has revealed that it is testing a new feature that allows users to see search results on a web page rather than return to the search results page. The goal is to simplify visitors to compare search results and rapidly navigate one page.
The new Google feature is a side panel search. One of two experiments that Google is running to make its search results pages (SERPs) persistent.
- There were two search experiments announced: Journeys and Side Panel Search.
- Google Journeys compiles a list of previous searches on a particular subject and organizes them together. The tool is similar to a search history archive. However, it groups last searches by topic, making it easier to identify specific searches linked to a topic.
- The Google Side Panel Search is a three-step procedure that begins with a standard Google search and ends with a website click. The third component is a left-hand side panel that opens to expose the search results that the user had previously navigated away from.
Read more: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-persistent-search/421749/
Google: Gmail Now Has Appsheet Automation, and Chat and Spaces Now Have Jira Support
October 12, 2021
Google has added a new capability to its AppSheet automation tool that allows no-code platform developers to create bespoke apps and automation that interface directly with Gmail.
Developers can now create applications that users can trigger and run straight from their Gmail inbox using dynamic email. While this has been the promise of active email since Google introduced it in 2019, we haven’t seen many developers take advantage of it yet.
- AppSheet’s CEO and creator, Praveen Seshadri, who sold the service to Google in 2020, said this is a minor but essential step in its overarching objective to help more people turn their ideas into usable software.
- As Seshadri pointed out, business users are typically closest to business problems. Thus, they are also the ones who know what they want from an automation solution like this.
- It’s also worth mentioning that Google is announcing a new interface with Atlassian today, which integrates Jira with Google Chat and Spaces.
Read more: https://techcrunch.com/2021/10/12/google-brings-appsheet-automations-to-gmail-jira-support-to-chat-and-spaces/